09/07/2012 - Launch of 2012 Brighter Belfast Environmental Awards
The Brighter Belfast Environmental Awards recognise and reward individuals, groups, schools, organisations and businesses in Belfast that are making an effort to ensure their local environments are brighter, cleaner and greener places.
The 2012 Awards are divided into the following five categories:
- Litter Heroes Award - open to individuals, groups, businesses or schools involved in a project to reduce or prevent litter.
- Business and the Community Together Award - open to organisations or businesses that have carried out a local environmental programme in partnership with a group, individual or school.
- Green Initiative Award - open to individuals, groups, businesses or schools involved in projects to reduce waste, conserve natural resources and those that have adapted measures to reduce their carbon footprint.
- Education for Change Award - open to schools that care deeply about environmental issues and wish to make a positive change to their local environment.
- Nature Conservation Award - open to individuals, groups, businesses or schools that have an interest in safeguarding and conserving its natural heritage. Examples might include, creating or maintaining a wildlife habitat, conservation area or community garden.
The winner in each category will receive a trophy and a prize of £500.
Winners of the Business and the Community Together Award must nominate a charity to receive this award.
The competition is open to any individual, group, school, association or business based or working in the Belfast City Council area, or any group with a substantial number of members living in the area.
Alderman Robinson commenting at the launch stated:
"It's been a disappointing summer so far and I think we could all do with a little bit of colour and sunshine to counter the grey skies. The Brighter Belfast awards give people the opportunity to gain the recognition and credit they deserve for doing their bit for their local environment; whether it is organising community clean-ups, trying to reduce your carbon footprint or creating a wildlife habitat. There are also some great prizes up for grabs."
The 2012 Awards deadline is 19 November 2012.
The presentation ceremony will take place on Thursday 17 January 2013 in the City Hall.
For further information click here (link opens in new window).
News provided by j4bgrants.co.uk.